Monday, October 16, 2006

Lomu linked to Titans


Former All Blacks winger Jonah Lomu is reportedly being courted by the Gold Coast Titans NRL club.
Lomu will meet with the Titans management tomorrow to discuss a possible code switch according to a Gold Coast newspaper.
If Lomu, 31, passes a medical assessment and accepts a Titans contract he will be the second high-profile rugby signing for the new NRL franchise following Wallaby Mat Rogers's decision to join the club from 2008.
Lomu, with 73 All Blacks caps and two World Cup appearances, was sidelined after the 1999 World Cup when a debilitating kidney disease threatened to end his career.
A 2004 transplant allowed Lomu to return to the football field and despite a comeback with North Harbour in the provincial competition, and a year in Wales, Lomu has been unable to attract Super 14 interest ending his dream of a return for the All Blacks.
"I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed about not getting a Super 14 contract," Lomu said earlier this month.
"But I have had a go. I would have been more disappointed if I didn't have a go.
"I don't feel I have let anyone down. I've given it my all. It's been a failure in the sense I didn't make the All Blacks (for the 2007 Rugby World Cup) but I certainly didn't fail myself.
"I dared to dream. Who can criticise me for that?"
He has been weighing up his options, although there has been no hint that he was interested in pursuing a career in rugby league.
His wife and manager, Fiona, this month said Lomu would consider prolonging his career in Australia's new national rugby union competition next year.
"We certainly wouldn't turn away any conversations with regards to playing opportunities," Fiona Lomu said.
"I guess it's not a common move for New Zealand players but ... the competition's changed a lot both here and in Australia and there are new opportunities that could be something that we would look at."
She stressed money was not motivating Lomu to stay active in competitive sport.
"Money's never been the primary driver for him ever in his career so it's certainly not how we approach decision-making."
Joining the Titans in the NRL could kick-start ambitions to become a dual international.
AAP/NZPA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home